Re: "pgoutput" options missing on documentation

От Peter Smith
Тема Re: "pgoutput" options missing on documentation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Dec 21, 2023 at 2:58 AM Emre Hasegeli <emre@hasegeli.com> wrote:

> > We don't expect unrecognized option here and for such a thing, we use
> > elog in the code. See the similar usage in
> > parseCreateReplSlotOptions().
>
> "pgoutput" is useful for a lot of applications other than our logical
> replication subscriber.  I think we should expect anything and handle
> errors nicely.
>
> > I think we should move to 0002 patch now. In that, I suggest preparing
> > separate back branch patches.
>
> They are attached.

Hi, I checked (just by visual inspection and diffs) the provided
backpatches and I have a couple of questions:

======

1.

The Chapter "Streaming Replication Protocol" START_REPLICATION /
"option_name" part has an xref to the pgoutput options page

e.g. master
-          The name of an option passed to the slot's logical decoding plugin.
+          The name of an option passed to the slot's logical decoding output
+          plugin.  See <xref linkend="protocol-logical-replication"/> for
+          options that are accepted by the standard
(<literal>pgoutput</literal>)
+          plugin.

But the xref seems present only in the master/v16/v15 patches, but not
for the earlier patches v14/v13/v12. Why not?

~~~

2.

The proto_version part now says "A valid version is required.".
e.g. master
+       version is required.

But the change was only in the patches v14 onwards. Although the new
error message was only added for HEAD, isn't it still correct to say
"A valid version is required." for all the patches including v12 and
v13?

======
Kind Regards,
Peter Smith.