Re: Maintaining a list of pgindent commits for "git blame" to ignore

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: Maintaining a list of pgindent commits for "git blame" to ignore
Дата
Re: Maintaining a list of pgindent commits for "git blame" to ignore  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 3:12 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> It would be kind of nice if the file can be generated automatically.  I
> have you checked if 'pgindent' being on the first line of the commit is
> sufficient?

I generated the file by looking for commits that:

1) Mentioned "pgindent" or "PGINDENT" in the entire commit message.

2) Had more than 20 or 30 files changed.

This left me with fewer than 50 commits that cover over 20 years of
history since the first pgindent commit. I also added one or two
others that I somehow missed (maybe you happened to spell it "pg
indent" that year) through trial and error. The file that I sent to
the list works really well for me.

I don't think that it's a good idea to automate this process, because
we certainly don't want to let incorrect entries slip in. And because
there just isn't a lot left to automate -- running pgindent on the
tree is something that happens no more than 2 or 3 times a year. It
could easily be added to the checklist in the README. It should take
less than 5 minutes a year.

--
Peter Geoghegan