Re: Use of additional index columns in rows filtering

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: Use of additional index columns in rows filtering
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Aug 8, 2023 at 1:24 PM Tomas Vondra
<tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> > Assuming that that happens, then it immediately gives index scans a
> > huge advantage over bitmap index scans. At that point it seems
> > important to describe (in high level terms) where it is that the
> > advantage is innate, and where it's just because we haven't done the
> > required work for bitmap index scans. I became confused on this point
> > myself yesterday. Admittedly I should have been able to figure it out
> > on my own -- but it is confusing.
> >

> Yeah, I agree that might help a lot, particularly for tables that have a
> significant fraction of not-all-visible pages.

It also has the potential to make the costing a lot easier in certain
important cases. Accurately deriving just how many heap accesses can
be avoided via the VM from the statistics that are available to the
planner is likely always going to be very difficult. Finding a way to
make that just not matter at all (in these important cases) can also
make it safe to bias the costing, such that the planner tends to favor
index scans (and index-only scans) over bitmap index scans that cannot
possibly eliminate any heap page accesses via an index filter qual.

> Right, and I'm not against improving that, but I see it more like an
> independent task. I don't think it needs (or should) to be part of this
> patch - skipping visibility checks would apply to IOS, while this is
> aimed only at plain index scans.

I'm certainly not going to insist on it. Worth considering if putting
it in scope could make certain aspects of this patch (like the
costing) easier, though.

I think that it wouldn't be terribly difficult to make simple
inequalities into true index quals. I think I'd like to have a go at
it myself. To some degree I'm trying to get a sense of how much that'd
help you.

--
Peter Geoghegan

Сообщение: Re: Use of additional index columns in rows filtering
Сообщение: Re: Use of additional index columns in rows filtering