Re: PostgreSQL <-> Babelfish integration

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: PostgreSQL <-> Babelfish integration
Дата
Re: PostgreSQL <-> Babelfish integration  (Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 10:26 AM Álvaro Hernández <aht@ongres.com> wrote:
>     As I stated in the mentioned post, I believe Babelfish is a very
> welcomed addition to the PostgreSQL ecosystem. It allows PostgreSQL to
> reach other users, other use cases, other markets; something which in my
> opinion PostgreSQL really needs to extend its reach, to become a more
> relevant player in the database market. The potential is there,
> specially given all the extensibility points that PostgreSQL already
> has, which are unparalleled in the industry.

Let's assume for the sake of argument that your analysis of the
benefits is 100% correct -- let's take it for granted that Babelfish
is manna from heaven. It's still not clear that it's worth embracing
Babelfish in the way that you have advocated.

We simply don't know what the costs are. Because there is no source
code available. Maybe that will change tomorrow or next week, but as
of this moment there is simply nothing substantive to evaluate.

--
Peter Geoghegan