Re: Flushing large data immediately in pqcomm

От Melih Mutlu
Тема Re: Flushing large data immediately in pqcomm
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 18:54 Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 7:39 AM David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com> wrote:
> Robert, I understand you'd like a bit more from this patch. I'm
> wondering if you planning on blocking another committer from going
> ahead with this? Or if you have a reason why the current state of the
> patch is not a meaningful enough improvement that would justify
> possibly not getting any improvements in this area for PG17?

So, I think that the first version of the patch, when it got a big
chunk of data, would just flush whatever was already in the buffer and
then send the rest without copying.

Correct.

The current version, as I
understand it, only does that if the buffer is empty; otherwise, it
copies data as much data as it can into the partially-filled buffer.

Yes, currently it should fill and flush the buffer first, if it’s not already empty. Only then it sends the rest without copying.

Thanks,
Melih