Timeout when changes are filtered out by the core during logical replication

От Ashutosh Bapat
Тема Timeout when changes are filtered out by the core during logical replication
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi All,
A customer ran a script dropping a few dozens of users in a transaction. Before dropping a user they change the ownership of the tables owned by that user to another user and revoking all the accesses from that user in the same transaction. There were a few thousand tables whose privileges and ownership was changed by this transaction. Since all of these changes were in catalog table, those changes were filtered out in ReorderBufferProcessTXN()
by the following code
                   if (!RelationIsLogicallyLogged(relation))
                        goto change_done;

I tried to reproduce a similar situation through the attached TAP test. For 500 users and 1000 tables, we see that the transaction takes significant time but logical decoding does not take much time. So with the default 1 min WAL sender and receiver timeout I could not reproduce the timeout. Beyond that our TAp test itself times out.

But I think there's a possibility that the logical receiver will time out this way when decoding a sufficiently large transaction which takes more than the timeout amount of time to decode. So I think we need to call OutputPluginUpdateProgress() after a regular interval (in terms of time or number of changes) to consume any feedback from the subscriber or send a keep-alive message.

Following commit
```
commit 87c1dd246af8ace926645900f02886905b889718
Author: Amit Kapila <akapila@postgresql.org>
Date:   Wed May 11 10:12:23 2022 +0530

    Fix the logical replication timeout during large transactions.

 ```
fixed a similar problem when the changes were filtered by an output plugin, but in this case the changes are not being handed over to the output plugin as well. If we fix it in the core we may not need to handle it in the output plugin as that commit does. The commit does not have a test case which I could run to reproduce the timeout.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh