Re: UUID v7

От Jelte Fennema-Nio
Тема Re: UUID v7
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 16 Jan 2024 at 22:02, Przemysław Sztoch <przemyslaw@sztoch.pl> wrote:
> But replace uuidv7_extract_time(uuid) with uuid_extract_time(uuid) - function should be able extract timestamp from
v1/v6/v7

I'm fine with this.

> I would highly recommend to add:
> uuidv5(namespace uuid, name text) -> uuid
> using uuid_generate_v5 from uuid-ossp extension (https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/uuid-ossp.html)
> There is an important version and it should be included into the main PG code.

I think adding more uuid versions would probably be desirable. But I
don't think it makes sense to clutter this patchset with that. I feel
like on this uuidv7 patchset we've had enough discussion that it could
reasonably get into PG17, but I think adding even more uuid versions
to this patchset would severely reduce the chances of that happening.