Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner

От Jelte Fennema
Тема Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 17 Oct 2023 at 16:04, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> What I really dislike about the current situation is that
> it's doubling down on the idea that committers have to be perfect and
> get everything right every time. Turns out, that's hard to do. If not,
> why do people keep screwing things up? Somebody could theorize - and
> this seems to be Tom and Jelte's theory, though perhaps I'm
> misinterpreting their comments - that the people who have made
> mistakes here are just lazy, and what they need to do is up their
> game.

To clarify, I did not intend to imply people that commit unindented
code are lazy. It's expected that humans forget to run pgindent before
committing from time to time (I do too). That's why I proposed a
server side git hook to reject badly indented commits very early in
this thread. But some others said that buildfarm animals were the way
to go for Postgres development flow. And since I'm not a committer I
left it at that. I was already happy enough that there was consensus
on indenting continuously, so that the semi-regular rebases for the
few open CF entries that I have are a lot less annoying.

But based on the current feedback I think we should seriously consider
a server-side "update" git hook again. People are obviously not
perfect machines. And for whatever reason not everyone installs the
pre-commit hook from the wiki. So the koel keeps complaining. A
server-side hook would solve all of this IMHO.

Сообщение: Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner
Сообщение: Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner