An improved README experience for PostgreSQL

От Andrew Atkinson
Тема An improved README experience for PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Hello Hackers. We’re proposing an improved README for PostgreSQL that includes more helpful links for prospective PostgreSQL contributors and has a nicer presentation.

Although development does not take place on GitHub or GitLab for PostgreSQL, many developers might view the PostgreSQL source code using one of those mirrors (I do myself). Since both support Markdown files, a Markdown version of the README (as README.md) gets presentational benefits that I think are helpful.

For a head-to-head comparison of what that looks like, review the current README and a proposed README.md version below:

Current version:

https://github.com/andyatkinson/postgres/blob/master/README

Markdown README.md version on GitHub:

https://github.com/andyatkinson/postgres/blob/e88138765750b6f7898089b4016641eee01bf616/README.md

---- Feedback Requested ----

Samay Sharma are both interested in the initial developer experience for PostgreSQL. We had a chat about the role the README plays in that, while it's a small role, we thought this might be a place to start.

We'd love some feedback.

Prospective contributors need to know about compilation, the mailing lists, and how the commitfest events work. This information is scattered around on wiki pages, but we're wondering if more could be brought into the README and whether that would help?

If you do check out the new file, we'd love to know whether you think there's useful additions, or there's content that's missing.

If there's any kind of feedback or consensus on this thread, I'm happy to create and send a patch.

Thanks for taking a look!

Andrew Atkinson w/ reviews from Samay Sharma