Re: [DOC] Introducing Quick Start Guide to PL/pgSQL and PL/Python Documentation

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: [DOC] Introducing Quick Start Guide to PL/pgSQL and PL/Python Documentation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi

čt 21. 12. 2023 v 11:18 odesílatel Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org> napsal:
On 19.12.23 17:26, Ishaan Adarsh wrote:
> Subject: Clarification on the Purpose of the Patch
>
> Hi Peter,
>
> The intention was to address the challenge faced by newcomers in
> understanding how to write an extension for PostgreSQL. The existing
> documentation, while comprehensive, lacks a consolidated and
> easy-to-follow tutorial that serves as a quick start guide. The goal was
> to create a beginner-friendly resource that assumes only knowledge of
> Postgres and the target language, making it accessible for new
> contributors because the barrier for entry is prohibitive for new
> contributors. There are various third-party blog posts focusing on
> different areas, and sometimes contradictory.

Have you seen this:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/extend-extensions.html#EXTEND-EXTENSIONS-EXAMPLE

Maybe that could be extended/modified/simplified?

> Specifically:
> 1. The new section titled "Quick Start Guide" aims to provide
> step-by-step instructions for users to get started with writing
> extensions in PL/pgSQL and PL/Python.

What's confusing here is writing an extension in a PL language is not a
normal use case I'd say.  The normal use case involves some C code.

 Extensions were designed for C, but they are working with PL well too. Some of my customers use extensions for PLpgSQL and they are almost happy. 1) there is nothing else, 2) it is really works

I agree with Peter - this topic is not what I imagine under "Quick start guide"

Regards

Pavel