Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Provide much better wait information in pg_stat_activity.

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Provide much better wait information in pg_stat_activity.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 4:41 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
> I afraid so you try to look on your use case as global/generic issue. The
> PL/SQL, ADA. PL/pgSQL are verbose languages, and too shortcuts does the
> languages dirty. In this point we have different opinion.
>
> I proposed some enhanced PLpgSQL API with a possibility to create a
> extension that can enforce your requested behave. The implementation can not
> be hard, and it can coverage some special/individual requests well.

I'm not at all interested to discuss any of the proposed changes that
have already been proposed,
because we have already had lengthy discussions on them, and I doubt
neither you nor me have nothing to add.

What we need is more input on proposed changes from other companies
who are also heavy users of PL/pgSQL.

Only then can we move forward. It's like Robert is saying, there is a
risk for bikeshedding here,
we must widen our perspectives and get better understanding for how
other heavy users are using PL/pgSQL.

I disagree with this opinion - this is community sw, not commercial. We can do nothing if we don't find a agreement.

Pavel, do you know of any such companies?

I know companies with pretty heavy PostgreSQL load and critical applications, but with only ten thousands lines of PL/pgSQL. They has only one request - stability. I talked with Oleg and with other people - and common requests are

* session (global) variables
* global temp tables
* better checking of embedded SQL
* usual possibility to specify left part of assign statement

But these requests depends on development style - it is related to classical usage of stored procedures - the people are interesting about it, because they does porting from DB2 or Oracle to Postgres.

Probably the biggest company with pretty large code of PL/pgSQL was Skype, but I have not any info about current state.

Regards

Pavel

Сообщение: Re: Background Processes and reporting
Сообщение: Re: Background Processes and reporting