Re: proposal: psql: show current user in prompt

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: proposal: psql: show current user in prompt
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

po 8. 1. 2024 v 6:08 odesílatel vignesh C <vignesh21@gmail.com> napsal:
On Tue, 12 Sept 2023 at 14:39, Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org> wrote:

> On 11.09.23 13:59, Jelte Fennema wrote:
> > @Tom and @Robert, since you originally suggested extending the
> > protocol for this, I think some input from you on the protocol design
> > would be quite helpful. BTW, this protocol extension is the main
> > reason I personally care for this patch, because it would allow
> > PgBouncer to ask for updates on certain GUCs so that it can preserve
> > session level SET commands even in transaction pooling mode.
> > Right now PgBouncer can only do this for a handful of GUCs, but
> > there's quite a few others that are useful for PgBouncer to preserve
> > by default:
> > - search_path
> > - statement_timeout
> > - lock_timeout
>
> ISTM that for a purpose like pgbouncer, it would be simpler to add a new
> GUC "report these variables" and send that in the startup message?  That
> might not help with the psql use case, but it would be much simpler.

I have changed the status to "Waiting on Author" as Peter's comments
have not been followed up yet.

Please, see my reply to Peter. I think his comment is very valuable (and I am for it), but I don't think it is a practical API for this feature.

Regards

Pavel

Regards,
Vignesh