Re: proposal: psql: show current user in prompt

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: proposal: psql: show current user in prompt
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

po 4. 9. 2023 v 14:24 odesílatel Jelte Fennema <postgres@jeltef.nl> napsal:
On Sun, 3 Sept 2023 at 20:58, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
> here is an try

Overall it does what I had in mind. Below a few suggestions:

+int
+PQprotocolSubversion(const PGconn *conn)

Ugh, it's quite annoying that the original PQprotocolVersion only
returns the major version and thus we need this new function. It
seems like it would be much nicer if it returned a number similar to
PQserverVersion. I think it might be nicer to change PQprotocolVersion
to do that than to add another function. We could do:

return PG_PROTOCOL_MAJOR(conn->pversion) * 100 +
PG_PROTOCOL_MINOR(conn->pversion);

or even:

if (PG_PROTOCOL_MAJOR(conn->pversion) == 3 && PG_PROTOCOL_MINOR(conn->pversion))
    return 3;
else
    return PG_PROTOCOL_MAJOR(conn->pversion) * 100 +
PG_PROTOCOL_MINOR(conn->pversion);

The second option would be safest backwards compatibility wise, but in
practice you would only get another value than 3 (or 0) when
connecting to pre 7.4 servers. That seems old enough that I don't
think anyone is actually calling this function. **I'd like some
feedback from others on this though.**

Both versions look a little bit strange to me. I have not strong opinion about it, but I am not sure if is best to change contract after 20 years ago

commit from Jun 2003 efc3a25bb02ada63158fe7006673518b005261ba

I prefer to introduce a new function - it is ten lines of code. The form is not important - it can be a full number or minor number. It doesn't matter I think. But my opinion in this area is not strong, and I like to see feedback from others too. It is true that this feature and interface is not fully complete.

Reards

Pavel

+       /* The protocol 3.0 is required */
+       if (PG_PROTOCOL_MAJOR(their_version) == 3)
+           conn->pversion = their_version;

Let's compare against the actual PG_PROTOCOL_EARLIEST and
PG_PROTOCOL_LATEST to determine if the version is supported or not.