Re: Impact of checkpointer during pg_upgrade

От Dilip Kumar
Тема Re: Impact of checkpointer during pg_upgrade
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Sep 4, 2023 at 8:41 AM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 2, 2023 at 6:12 PM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Sep 2, 2023 at 10:09 AM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > The other possibilities apart from not allowing an upgrade in such a
> > > case could be (a) Before starting the old cluster, we fetch the slots
> > > directly from the disk using some tool like [2] and make the decisions
> > > based on that state;
> >
> > Okay, so IIUC along with dumping the slot data we also need to dump
> > the latest checkpoint LSN because during upgrade we do check that the
> > confirmed flush lsn for all the slots should be the same as the latest
> > checkpoint.  Yeah but I think we could work this out.
> >
> We already have the latest checkpoint LSN information from
> pg_controldata. I think we can use that as the patch proposed in the
> thread [1] is doing now. Do you have something else in mind?

I think I did not understood the complete proposal.  And what I meant
is that if we dump the slot before we start the cluster thats fine.
But then later after starting the old cluster if we run some query
like we do in check_old_cluster_for_valid_slots() then thats not
right, because there is gap between the status of the slots what we
dumped before starting the cluster and what we are checking after the
cluster, so there is not point of that check right?

> >  (b) During the upgrade, we don't allow WAL to be
> > > removed if it can invalidate slots; (c) Copy/Migrate the invalid slots
> > > as well but for that, we need to expose an API to invalidate the
> > > slots;
> >
> >  (d) somehow distinguish the slots that are invalidated during
> > > an upgrade and then simply copy such slots because anyway we ensure
> > > that all the WAL required by slot is sent before shutdown.
> >
> > Yeah this could also be an option, although we need to think the
> > mechanism of distinguishing those slots looks clean and fit well with
> > other architecture.
> >

> If we want to do this we probably need to maintain a flag in the slot
> indicating that it was invalidated during an upgrade and then use the
> same flag in the upgrade to check the validity of slots. I think such
> a flag needs to be maintained at the same level as
> ReplicationSlotInvalidationCause to avoid any inconsistency among
> those.

I think we can do better, like we can just read the latest
checkpoint's LSN before starting the old cluster.  And now while
checking the slot can't we check if the the slot is invalidated then
their confirmed_flush_lsn >= the latest_checkpoint_lsn we preserved
before starting the cluster because if so then those slot might have
got invalidated during the upgrade no?

> > Alternatively can't we just ignore all the invalidated slots and do
> > not migrate them at all.  Because such scenarios are very rare that
> > some of the segments are getting dropped just during the upgrade time
> > and that too from the old cluster so in such cases not migrating the
> > slots which are invalidated should be fine no?
> >

> I also think that such a scenario would be very rare but are you
> suggesting to ignore all invalidated slots or just the slots that got
> invalidated during an upgrade? BTW, if we simply ignore invalidated
> slots then users won't be able to drop corresponding subscriptions
> after an upgrade. They need to first use the Alter Subscription
> command to disassociate the slot (by using the command ALTER
> SUBSCRIPTION ... SET (slot_name = NONE)) and then drop the
> subscription similar to what we suggest in other cases as described in
> the Replication Slot Management section in docs [2].

Yeah I think thats not the best thing to do.

--
Regards,
Dilip Kumar