Re: Improve eviction algorithm in ReorderBuffer

От Dilip Kumar
Тема Re: Improve eviction algorithm in ReorderBuffer
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Dec 13, 2023 at 6:01 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Thanks for working on this, I think it would be good to test other
> > scenarios as well where this might have some negative impact and see
> > where we stand.
>
> Agreed.
>
> > 1) A scenario where suppose you have one very large transaction that
> > is consuming ~40% of the memory and 5-6 comparatively smaller
> > transactions that are just above 10% of the memory limit.  And now for
> > coming under the memory limit instead of getting 1 large transaction
> > evicted out, we are evicting out multiple times.
>
> Given the large transaction list will have up to 10 transactions, I
> think it's cheap to pick the largest transaction among them. It's O(N)
> but N won't be large.

Yeah, that makes sense.

> > 2) Another scenario where all the transactions are under 10% of the
> > memory limit but let's say there are some transactions are consuming
> > around 8-9% of the memory limit each but those are not very old
> > transactions whereas there are certain old transactions which are
> > fairly small and consuming under 1% of memory limit and there are many
> > such transactions.  So how it would affect if we frequently select
> > many of these transactions to come under memory limit instead of
> > selecting a couple of large transactions which are consuming 8-9%?
>
> Yeah, probably we can do something for small transactions (i.e. small
> and on-memory transactions). One idea is to pick the largest
> transaction among them by iterating over all of them. Given that the
> more transactions are evicted, the less transactions the on-memory
> transaction list has, unlike the current algorithm, we would still
> win. Or we could even split it into several sub-lists in order to
> reduce the number of transactions to check. For example, splitting it
> into two lists: transactions consuming 5% < and 5% >=  of the memory
> limit, and checking the 5% >= list preferably. The cost for
> maintaining these lists could increase, though.
>
> Do you have any ideas?

Yeah something like what you mention might be good, we maintain 3 list
that says large, medium, and small transactions.  In a large
transaction, list suppose we allow transactions that consume more than
10% so there could be at max 10 transactions so we can do a sequence
search and spill the largest of all.  Whereas in the medium list
suppose we keep transactions ranging from e.g. 3-10% then it's just
fine to pick from the head because the size differences between the
largest and smallest transaction in this list are not very
significant.  And remaining in the small transaction list and from the
small transaction list we can choose to spill multiple transactions at
a time.

--
Regards,
Dilip Kumar