Re: trying again to get incremental backup

От Dilip Kumar
Тема Re: trying again to get incremental backup
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov 7, 2023 at 2:06 AM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 30, 2023 at 2:46 PM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> > After playing with this for a while, I don't see a reason for wal_summarize_mb
> > from a memory usage POV at least.
>
> Here's v8. Changes:

Review comments, based on what I reviewed so far.

- I think 0001 looks good improvement irrespective of the patch series.

- review 0003
1.
+       be enabled either on a primary or on a standby. WAL summarization can
+       cannot be enabled when <varname>wal_level</varname> is set to
+       <literal>minimal</literal>.

Grammatical error
"WAL summarization can cannot" -> WAL summarization cannot

2.
+     <varlistentry id="guc-wal-summarize-keep-time"
xreflabel="wal_summarize_keep_time">
+      <indexterm>
configuration parameter</primary>
+      </indexterm>

I feel the name of the guy should be either wal_summarizer_keep_time
or wal_summaries_keep_time, I mean either we should refer to the
summarizer process or to the way summaries files.

3.

+XLogGetOldestSegno(TimeLineID tli)
+{
+
+ /* Ignore files that are not XLOG segments */
+ if (!IsXLogFileName(xlde->d_name))
+ continue;
+
+ /* Parse filename to get TLI and segno. */
+ XLogFromFileName(xlde->d_name, &file_tli, &file_segno,
+ wal_segment_size);
+
+ /* Ignore anything that's not from the TLI of interest. */
+ if (tli != file_tli)
+ continue;
+
+ /* If it's the oldest so far, update oldest_segno. */

Some of the single-line comments end with a full stop whereas others
do not, so better to be consistent.

4.

+ * If start_lsn != InvalidXLogRecPtr, only summaries that end before the
+ * indicated LSN will be included.
+ *
+ * If end_lsn != InvalidXLogRecPtr, only summaries that start before the
+ * indicated LSN will be included.
+ *
+ * The intent is that you can call GetWalSummaries(tli, start_lsn, end_lsn)
+ * to get all WAL summaries on the indicated timeline that overlap the
+ * specified LSN range.
+ */
+List *
+GetWalSummaries(TimeLineID tli, XLogRecPtr start_lsn, XLogRecPtr end_lsn)

Instead of "If start_lsn != InvalidXLogRecPtr, only summaries that end
before the" it should be "If start_lsn != InvalidXLogRecPtr, only
summaries that end after the" because only if the summary files are
Ending after the start_lsn then it will have some overlapping and we
need to return them if ending before start lsn then those files are
not overlapping at all, right?

5.
In FilterWalSummaries() header also the comment is wrong same as for
GetWalSummaries() function.

6.
+ * If the whole range of LSNs is covered, returns true, otherwise false.
+ * If false is returned, *missing_lsn is set either to InvalidXLogRecPtr
+ * if there are no WAL summary files in the input list, or to the first LSN
+ * in the range that is not covered by a WAL summary file in the input list.
+ */
+bool
+WalSummariesAreComplete(List *wslist, XLogRecPtr start_lsn,

I did not see the usage of this function, but I think if the whole
range is not covered why not keep the behavior uniform w.r.t. what we
set for '*missing_lsn',  I mean suppose there is no file then
missing_lsn is the start_lsn because a very first LSN is missing.

7.
+ nbytes = FileRead(io->file, data, length, io->filepos,
+   WAIT_EVENT_WAL_SUMMARY_READ);
+ if (nbytes < 0)
+ ereport(ERROR,
+ (errcode_for_file_access(),
+ errmsg("could not write file \"%s\": %m",
+ FilePathName(io->file))));

/could not write file/ could not read file

8.
+/*
+ * Comparator to sort a List of WalSummaryFile objects by start_lsn.
+ */
+static int
+ListComparatorForWalSummaryFiles(const ListCell *a, const ListCell *b)
+{

--
Regards,
Dilip Kumar