Re: Faulty HEAP_XMAX_LOCK_ONLY & HEAP_KEYS_UPDATED hintbit combination

От Dilip Kumar
Тема Re: Faulty HEAP_XMAX_LOCK_ONLY & HEAP_KEYS_UPDATED hintbit combination
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 4:05 PM Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 2:05 PM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Hmm, it's probably a bug in compute_new_xmax_infomask.  I don't think
> > > the combination is sensible.
> > >

> > If we see the logic of GetMultiXactIdHintBits then it appeared that we
> > can get this combination in the case of multi-xact.
> >
> > switch (members[i].status)
> > {
> >    case MultiXactStatusForUpdate:
> >    bits2 |= HEAP_KEYS_UPDATED;
> >    break;
> > }

> > if (!has_update)
> > bits |= HEAP_XMAX_LOCK_ONLY;
> >
> > Basically, if it is "select for update" then we will mark infomask2 as
> > HEAP_KEYS_UPDATED and the informask as HEAP_XMAX_LOCK_ONLY.
>
> Yes I saw that too, I don't know if the MultiXactStatusForUpdate case
> is ok or not.

It seems it is done intentionally to handle some case, I am not sure
which case though.  But Setting HEAP_KEYS_UPDATED in case of "for
update" seems wrong.
The comment of this flag clearly says that "tuple was updated and key
cols modified, or tuple deleted " and that is obviously not the case
here.

#define HEAP_KEYS_UPDATED 0x2000 /* tuple was updated and key cols
* modified, or tuple deleted */

> Note that this hint bit can get cleaned later in heap_update in case
> of hot_update or if there's TOAST:
>
> /*
> * To prevent concurrent sessions from updating the tuple, we have to
> * temporarily mark it locked, while we release the page-level lock.
> [...]
> /* Clear obsolete visibility flags ... */
> oldtup.t_data->t_infomask &= ~(HEAP_XMAX_BITS | HEAP_MOVED);
> oldtup.t_data->t_infomask2 &= ~HEAP_KEYS_UPDATED;

I see.

--
Regards,
Dilip Kumar