Re: Improving the heapgetpage function improves performance in common scenarios

От John Naylor
Тема Re: Improving the heapgetpage function improves performance in common scenarios
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 6, 2023 at 2:50 PM Quan Zongliang <quanzongliang@yeah.net> wrote:

> If not optimized(--enable-debug CFLAGS='-O0'), there is a clear
> difference. When the compiler does the optimization, the performance is
> similar. I think the compiler does a good enough optimization with
> "pg_attribute_always_inline" and the last two constant parameters when
> calling heapgetpage_collect.

So as we might expect, more specialization (Andres' patch) has no apparent downsides in this workload. (While I'm not sure of the point of testing at -O0, I think we can conclude that less-bright compilers will show some improvement with either patch.)

If you agree, do you want to withdraw your patch from the commit fest?

--
John Naylor
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com