Re: Compiling PostgreSQL under Windows (for use with R package).

От Paul Linehan
Тема Re: Compiling PostgreSQL under Windows (for use with R package).
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Hi Joe, and thanks for the quick reply.

>> Anyway, I'm just wondering am I wasting my time working with
>> Mingw-64 and and/or Cygwin for PostgreSQL. Should I would just be
>> better off with the "native" Windows system.

> I would not compile Postgres using Cygwin -- just use the native
> Windows version, or better yet switch to Linux.

Oh, I'm planning on using Linux (and *BSD and OpenSolaris...) :-)

Unfortunately though, there appears to be a distinct bias at the institution
where I currently study (**not this email's one**) in favour of a certain
OS from the North Western United States...

I would ideally like to present a project showing that I'd covered all the bases
and then be able to say, well, "for this problem, operating system X,
compiled with Y is your only man"

> If you need PL/R dll for Windows you can find pre-compiled binaries
> here: http://www.joeconway.com/plr/

One of my fundamental beliefs as a scientist is that we (of
all people) should be using Open Source. I'll be grabbing your
source at some point.

Scientists, by definition, should be pushing the boundaries. Commercial
software, by definition, doesn't cover edge conditions (Pareto's law &c.)
which results in a "conflict of interest".

Tomorrow, I'll take a more detailled look at your site - I believe that
I've seen it before :-).

Thanks again, rgs,

Paul...

> Joe Conway

Сообщение: Re: Compiling PostgreSQL under Windows (for use with R package).
Сообщение: Re: Compiling PostgreSQL under Windows (for use with R package).