Re: Is my lecturer wrong about PostgreSQL? I think he is!

От Pól Ua Laoínecháin
Тема Re: Is my lecturer wrong about PostgreSQL? I think he is!
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi, and thanks for responding,

> First off- please try to craft a new email in the future...

My apologies to you and the group - I'll do that in future.

> > 1) Is my lecturer full of it or does he really have a point?

> He's full of it, as far as I can tell anyway, based on what you've
> shared with us.  Just look at the committers and the commit history to
> PostgreSQL, and look at who the largest contributors are and who they
> work for.  That alone might be enough to surprise your lecturer with.

The only non-PostgreSQL company that I could find was Fujitisu - where
can I find a (list of) the others?

> Databases that do direct I/O don't depend on fsync.  That said, I do
> think this could have been an issue for Oracle if you ran it without
> direct i/o.

I think that Oracle are big into asyncio? I know that you have to sudo
dnf install some_library with a name like asio/asyncio or something
like that?

Anyway, why doesn't PostgreSQL use Direct I/O?

Thanks again and rgs,

Pól...