Re: 9.6 -> 10.0

От Oleg Bartunov
Тема Re: 9.6 -> 10.0
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy

On Mar 22, 2016 9:03 PM, "Josh berkus" <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> On 03/22/2016 10:52 AM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 10:41 AM, Josh berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> >> It's important to remember that PR strategy and engineering truth have
> >> only a passing acquaintance.  While we don't want to promote vaporware,
> >> we do sometimes soft-pedal our own features to our project's detriment.
> >> In the current atomosphere of VC-funded hype, we'd do a bit better to
> >> trumpet our accomplishements early and often.
> >
> > I see what you mean.
> >
> > The question must be asked: What feature *would* meet that "major
> > version bump" standard? If it's not extensive parallelism, then I
> > don't know what else it could be.
>
> Well, if we had pglogical AND parallel, I would be pushing hard for
> 10.0.  As it is, I was going to wait to see what else gets in.
>
> As it is, we have parallel and we have all of the BDR dependancies
> merged in, no?  That still seems like a new era for PostgreSQL; I think
> we can expect the next few releases to be all about (a) parallelizing
> more things and (b) building out clustering stuff.
>
> One thing we don't much talk about is that we hit an inflection point
> somewhere in the 9.X series, as demonstrated by CitusDB: it is now as
> easy to build out your "Postgres Fork" by using our APIs and hooks as it
> is by forking the project.  That's going to make a big difference for us
> in the long run, possibly bigger than any individual feature.

Well, API is enough to build non-transactional distributed databases. We proposed pluggable TM to go further. Hope  it will get more attention at pgcon.

BTW, what's about unforking pipelinedb ? Is't possible with our API and hooks ?  There is a big demand from russian  companies to Postgres and we  are in difficult situation. Small steps forward is good, but it looks like we need hard thinking about our roadmap.