Re: Background Processes and reporting

От Oleg Bartunov
Тема Re: Background Processes and reporting
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 12:45 AM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
On 2016-03-12 02:24:33 +0300, Alexander Korotkov wrote:

> So, situation looks like dead-end.  I have no idea how to convince Robert
> about any kind of advanced functionality of wait monitoring to PostgreSQL.
> I'm thinking about implementing sampling extension over current
> infrastructure just to make community see that it sucks. Andres, it would
> be very nice if you have any idea how to move this situation forward.

I've had my share of conflicts with Robert. But if I were in his shoes,
targeted by this kind of rhetoric, I'd be very tempted to just ignore
any further arguments from the origin.  So I think the way forward is
for everyone to cool off, and to see how we can incrementally make
progress from here on.

We all are very different people from different cultures, so online discussion on ill-defined topics  wouldn't work. Let's back to work.

> Another aspect is that EnterpriseDB offers waits monitoring in proprietary
> fork [5].

So?

So, Robert already has experience with the subject, probably,  he has bad experience with edb implementation and he'd like to see something better in community version. That's fair and I accept his position.

Wait monitoring is one of the popular requirement of russian companies, who migrated from Oracle. Overwhelming majority of them use Linux, so I suggest to have configure flag for including wait monitoring at compile time (default is no wait monitoring), or have GUC variable, which is also off by default, so we have zero to minimal overhead of monitoring. That way we'll satisfy many enterprises and help them to choose postgres, will get feedback from production use and have time for feature improving.

Greetings,

Andres Freund