Re: The plan for FDW-based sharding

От Oleg Bartunov
Тема Re: The plan for FDW-based sharding
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 4:36 AM, Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

Hi,

On 03/01/2016 08:02 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
On Tue, Mar  1, 2016 at 07:56:58PM +0100, Petr Jelinek wrote:
Note that I am not saying that other discussed approaches are any
better, I am saying that we should know approximately what we
actually want and not just beat FDWs with a hammer and hope sharding
will eventually emerge and call that the plan.

I will say it again --- FDWs are the only sharding method I can think
of that has a chance of being accepted into Postgres core.

While I disagree with Simon on various things, I absolutely understand why he was asking about a prototype, and some sort of analysis of what usecases we expect to support initially/later/never, and what pieces are missing to get the sharding working. IIRC at the FOSDEM Dev Meeting you've claimed you're essentially working on a prototype - once we have the missing FDW pieces, we'll know if it works. I disagree that - it's not a prototype if it takes several years to find the outcome.

fully agree. Probably, we all need to help to build prototype in between-releases period. I see no legal way to resolve the situation.

--
Tomas Vondra                  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com