Re: Potential memory leak in contrib/intarray's g_intbig_compress

От Matthias van de Meent
Тема Re: Potential memory leak in contrib/intarray's g_intbig_compress
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 13 Jul 2023 at 17:20, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres@gmail.com> writes:
> > My collegue Konstantin (cc-ed) noticed that the GiST code of intarray
> > may leak memory in certain index operations:
>
> Can you demonstrate an actual problem here, that is a query-lifespan leak?
>
> IMO, the coding rule in the GiST and GIN AMs is that the AM code is
> responsible for running all opclass-supplied functions in suitably
> short-lived memory contexts, so that leaks within those functions
> don't cause problems.  This is different from btree which requires
> comparison functions to not leak.  The rationale for having different
> conventions is that btree comparison functions are typically simple
> enough to be able to deal with such a restriction, whereas GiST
> and GIN opclasses are often complex critters for which it'd be too
> bug-prone to insist on leakproofness.  So it seems worth the cost
> to make the AM itself set up a throwaway memory context.
>
> (I don't recall offhand about which rule the other AMs use.
> I'm also not sure where or if this choice is documented.)
>
> In the case at hand, I think the pfree is useless and was installed
> by somebody who had mis-extrapolated from btree rules.  So what
> I'm thinking would be sufficient is to drop it altogether:
>
> -               if (in != DatumGetArrayTypeP(entry->key))
> -                       pfree(in);

Looks like it's indeed a useless pfree call here - all paths that I
could find that lead to GiST's compress procedure are encapsulated in
a temporary context that is reset fairly quickly after use (at most
this memory context would live for the duration of the recursive
splitting of pages up the tree, but I haven't verified this
hypotheses).

There are similar pfree calls in the _int_gist.c file's g_int_compress
function, which made me think we do need to clean up after use, but
indeed these pfrees are useless (or even harmful if bug #17888 can be
trusted)

Kind regards,

Matthias van de Meent.