Re: Extract numeric filed in JSONB more effectively

От Matthias van de Meent
Тема Re: Extract numeric filed in JSONB more effectively
Дата
Re: Extract numeric filed in JSONB more effectively  (jian he <jian.universality@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2 Aug 2023 at 03:05, Andy Fan <zhihui.fan1213@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Matthias:
>
> On Wed, Aug 2, 2023 at 7:33 AM Andy Fan <zhihui.fan1213@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Why wouldn't you use cast(a->'a' as numeric), or ((a->'a')::numeric)?
>>

>> Thanks for this information! I didn't realize we have this function
>> already at [1].
>>
>> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/functions-json.html
>

> Hi:
>
> I just found ((a->'a')::numeric) is not as effective as I expected.
>
> First in the above expression we used jsonb_object_field which
> returns a jsonb (see JsonbValueToJsonb), and then we convert jsonb
> to jsonbValue in jsonb_numeric (see JsonbExtractScalar). This
> looks like a wastage.

Yes, it's not great, but that's just how this works. We can't
pre-specialize all possible operations that one might want to do in
PostgreSQL - that'd be absurdly expensive for binary and initial
database sizes.

> Secondly, because of the same reason above, we use PG_GETARG_JSONB_P(0),
> which may detoast a value so we need to free it with PG_FREE_IF_COPY.
> then this looks like another potential wastage.

Is it? Detoasting only happens if the argument was toasted, and I have
serious doubts that the result of (a->'a') will be toasted in our
current system. Sure, we do need to allocate an intermediate result,
but that's in a temporary memory context that should be trivially
cheap to free.

> /*
>  * v.val.numeric points into jsonb body, so we need to make a copy to
>  * return
>  */
> retValue = DatumGetNumericCopy(NumericGetDatum(v.val.numeric));
>
> At last this method needs 1 extra FuncExpr than my method, this would
> cost some expression execution effort. I'm not saying we need to avoid
> expression execution generally, but extracting numeric fields from jsonb
> looks a reasonable case.

But we don't have special cases for the other jsonb types  - the one
that is available (text) is lossy and doesn't work reliably without
making sure the field we're accessing is actually a string, and not
any other type of value.

> As a comparison, cast to other data types like
> int2/int4 may be not needed since they are not binary compatible.

Yet there are casts from jsonb to and back from int2, int4 and int8. I
don't see a very good reason to add this, for the same reasons
mentioned by Pavel.

*If* we were to add this operator, I would want this patch to also
include a #-variant for text[]-based deep access (c.q. #> / #>>), and
equivalent operators for the json type to keep the current access
operator parity.

> Here is the performance comparison (with -O3, my previous post is -O0).
>
> select 1 from tb where (a->'a')::numeric = 2;  31ms.
> select 1 from tb where (a@->'a') = 2;  15ms

What's tb here?

Kind regards,

Matthias van de Meent