Re: Report planning memory in EXPLAIN ANALYZE

От Ashutosh Bapat
Тема Re: Report planning memory in EXPLAIN ANALYZE
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Aug 9, 2023 at 8:09 PM Ashutosh Bapat
<ashutosh.bapat.oss@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi David,
> Replying to your comments on this thread.
>
> > On Tue, Aug 8, 2023 at 11:40 AM Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh.bapat.oss@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi All,
> >> I have been looking at memory consumed when planning a partitionwise join [1], [2] and [3]. I am using the
attachedpatch to measure the memory consumption. The patch has been useful to detect an increased memory consumption in
otherpatches e.g. [4] and [5]. The patch looks useful by itself. So I propose this enhancement in EXPLAIN ANALYZE.

> On Wed, Aug 9, 2023 at 10:12 AM David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I see you're recording the difference in the CurrentMemoryContext of
> > palloc'd memory before and after planning.  That won't really alert us
> > to problems if the planner briefly allocates, say 12GBs of memory
> > during, say the join search then quickly pfree's it again.  unless
> > it's an oversized chunk, aset.c won't free() any memory until
> > MemoryContextReset(). Chunks just go onto a freelist for reuse later.
> > So at the end of planning, the context may still have that 12GBs
> > malloc'd, yet your new EXPLAIN ANALYZE property might end up just
> > reporting a tiny fraction of that.
> >
> > I wonder if it would be more useful to just have ExplainOneQuery()
> > create a new memory context and switch to that and just report the
> > context's mem_allocated at the end.
>
> The memory allocated but not used is still available for use in rest
> of the query processing stages. The memory context which is
> CurrentMemoryContext at the time of planning is also
> CurrentMemoryContext at the time of its execution if it's not
> PREPAREd. So it's not exactly "consumed" by memory. But your point is
> valid, that it indicates how much was allocated. Just reporting
> allocated memory wont' be enough since it might have been allocated
> before planning began. How about reporting both used and net allocated
> memory? If we use a separate memory context as you suggest, context's
> mem_allocated would be net allocated.

Thinking more about it, I think memory used is the only right metrics.
It's an optimization in MemoryContext implementation that malloc'ed
memory is not freed when it is returned using pfree().

If we have to report allocated memory, maybe we should report as two
properties Planning Memory used, Planning Memory allocated
respectively. But again the later is an implementation detail which
may not be relevant.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat