Re: Invalid query generated by postgres_fdw with UNION ALL and ORDER BY

От Ashutosh Bapat
Тема Re: Invalid query generated by postgres_fdw with UNION ALL and ORDER BY
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 7, 2024 at 4:39 PM David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, 7 Mar 2024 at 19:09, Michał Kłeczek <michal@kleczek.org> wrote:

> The following query:
>
> SELECT * FROM (
>   SELECT 2023 AS year, * FROM remote_table_1
>   UNION ALL
>   SELECT 2022 AS year, * FROM remote_table_2
> )
> ORDER BY year DESC;
>
> yields the following remote query:
>
> SELECT [columns] FROM remote_table_1 ORDER BY 2023 DESC
>
> and subsequently fails remote execution.
>

> Not really sure where the problem is - the planner or postgres_fdw.
> I guess it is postgres_fdw not filtering out ordering keys.

Interesting.  I've attached a self-contained recreator for the casual passerby.

I think the fix should go in appendOrderByClause().  It's at that
point we look for the EquivalenceMember for the relation and can
easily discover if the em_expr is a Const.  I think we can safely just
skip doing any ORDER BY <const> stuff and not worry about if the
literal format of the const will appear as a reference to an ordinal
column position in the ORDER BY clause.

deparseSortGroupClause() calls deparseConst() with showtype = 1. appendOrderByClause() may want to do something similar for consistency. Or remove it from deparseSortGroupClause() as well?

Something like the attached patch I think should work.

I wonder if we need a test...

Yes.

--
Best Wishes,