Re: Test to dump and restore objects left behind by regression

От Ashutosh Bapat
Тема Re: Test to dump and restore objects left behind by regression
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Feb 22, 2024 at 6:32 AM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 21, 2024 at 12:18:45PM +0530, Ashutosh Bapat wrote:
> > Even with 1 and 2 the test is useful to detect dump/restore anomalies.
> > I think we should improve 3, but I don't have a good and simpler
> > solution. I didn't find any way to compare two given clusters in our
> > TAP test framework. Building it will be a lot of work. Not sure if
> > it's worth it.
>
> +       my $rc =
> +         system($ENV{PG_REGRESS}
> +                 . " $extra_opts "
> +                 . "--dlpath=\"$dlpath\" "
> +                 . "--bindir= "
> +                 . "--host="
> +                 . $node->host . " "
> +                 . "--port="
> +                 . $node->port . " "
> +                 . "--schedule=$srcdir/src/test/regress/parallel_schedule "
> +                 . "--max-concurrent-tests=20 "
> +                 . "--inputdir=\"$inputdir\" "
> +                 . "--outputdir=\"$outputdir\"");
>
> I am not sure that it is a good idea to add a full regression test
> cycle while we have already 027_stream_regress.pl that would be enough
> to test some dump scenarios.

That test *uses* pg_dump as a way to test whether the two clusters are
in sync. The test might change in future to use some other method to
make sure the two clusters are consistent. Adding the test here to
that test will make that change much harder.

It's not the dump, but restore, we are interested in here. No test
that runs PG_REGRESS also runs pg_restore in non-binary mode.

Also we need to keep this test near other pg_dump tests, not far from them.

> These are very expensive and easy to
> notice even with a high level of parallelization of the tests.

I agree, but I didn't find a suitable test to ride on.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat