Re: Proposal to include --exclude-extension Flag in pg_dump

От Dean Rasheed
Тема Re: Proposal to include --exclude-extension Flag in pg_dump
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 1 Jan 2024 at 13:28, Ayush Vatsa <ayushvatsa1810@gmail.com> wrote:

> According to the documentation of pg_dump when the --extension option is not specified, all non-system extensions in
thetarget database will get dumped.

> > Why do we need to explicitly exclude extensions?
> Hence to include only a few we use --extension, but to exclude a few I am proposing --exclude-extension.

Thanks for working on this. It seems like a useful feature to have.
The code changes look good, and it appears to work as expected.

In my opinion the order of options in pg_dump.sgml and the --help
output is fine. Keeping this new option together with -e/--extension
makes it easier to see, while otherwise it would get lost much further
down. Other opinions on that might differ though.

There are a couple of things missing from the patch, that should be added:

1). The --filter option should be extended to support "exclude
extension pattern" lines in the filter file. That syntax is already
accepted, but it throws a not-supported error, but it's hopefully not
too hard to make that work now.

2). It ought to have some tests in the test script.

Regards,
Dean