Re: [meson] expose buildtype debug/optimization info to pg_config

От Junwang Zhao
Тема Re: [meson] expose buildtype debug/optimization info to pg_config
Дата
Re: [meson] expose buildtype debug/optimization info to pg_config  (Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi Peter,

Thanks for looking into this.

On Thu, Dec 14, 2023 at 4:50 PM Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org> wrote:

> On 12.12.23 11:40, Junwang Zhao wrote:
> > build system using configure set VAL_CFLAGS with debug and
> > optimization flags, so pg_config will show these infos. Some
> > extensions depend on the mechanism.
> >
> > This patch exposes these flags with a typo fixed together.
>
> I have committed the typo fix.
>
> But I would like to learn more about the requirements of extensions in
> this area.  This seems a bit suspicious to me.

This is what I found when building citus against an installation
of meson debug build pg instance, since the CFLAGS doesn't
contain -g flag, the binary doesn't include the debug information,
which is different behavior from configure building system.

Another issue I found is that some C++
extensions(ajust/parquet_fdw for example) don't build against
the meson generated pgxs.mk, since it doesn't set the CXX
command. CXX is only set when llvm option is enabled, which
is different from old building system.

I don't insist we make Meson the same behaviour with old building
system, I just think the issues I raised might stop developers try
the fancy new building system. And the fix I post might not be
ideal, you and Andres might have better solutions.

--
Regards
Junwang Zhao