Re: Add generate_series(date,date) and generate_series(date,date,integer)

От Corey Huinker
Тема Re: Add generate_series(date,date) and generate_series(date,date,integer)
Дата
Re: Add generate_series(date,date) and generate_series(date,date,integer)  (Corey Huinker <corey.huinker@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 10:58 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 10:30 AM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 10 March 2016 at 06:53, Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 12:13 AM, Alvaro Herrera
>> <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > +1
>>
>> I'm meh for this patch.
>

> "meh" == +1
>
> I thought it meant -1

In my case it meant, like, -0.5.  I don't really like adding lots of
utility functions like this to the default install, because I'm not
sure how widely they get used and it gradually increases the size of
the code, system catalogs, etc.  But I also don't want to block
genuinely useful things.  So basically, I'm not excited about this
patch, but I don't want to fight about it either.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

New patch for Alvaro's consideration.

Very minor changes since the last time, the explanations below are literally longer than the changes:
- Rebased, though I don't think any of the files had changed in the mean time
- Removed infinity checks/errors and the test cases to match
- Amended documentation to add 'days' after 'step' as suggested
- Did not add a period as suggested, to remain consistent with other descriptions in the same sgml table
- Altered test case and documentation of 7 day step example so that the generated dates do not land evenly on the end date. A reader might incorrectly infer that the end date must be in the result set, when it doesn't have to be.
- Removed unnecessary indentation that existed purely due to following of other generate_series implementations
Вложения