Re: pgbench - implement strict TPC-B benchmark

От Jonah H. Harris
Тема Re: pgbench - implement strict TPC-B benchmark
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 10:10 AM Fabien COELHO <coelho@cri.ensmp.fr> wrote:

Hello Tom,

>>> I'm also highly dubious about labeling this script "standard TPC-B",
>>> when it resolves only some of the reasons why our traditional script
>>> is not really TPC-B.  That's treading on being false advertising.
>
>> IANAL, but it may not even be permissible to claim that we have
>> implemented "standard TPC-B".
>
> Yeah, very likely you can't legally say that unless the TPC
> has certified your test.  (Our existing code and docs are quite
> careful to call pgbench's version "TPC-like" or similar weasel
> wording, and never claim that it is really TPC-B or even a close
> approximation.)

Hmmm.

I agree that nobody really cares about TPC-B per se. The point of this
patch is to provide a built-in example of recent and useful pgbench
features that match a real specification.

I agree with this. When I was at EnterpriseDB, while it wasn't audited, we had to develop an actual TPC-B implementation because pgbench was too different. pgbench itself isn't that useful as a benchmark tool, imo, but if we have the ability to make it better (i.e. closer to an actual benchmark kit), I think we should.

--
Jonah H. Harris