Re: Password leakage avoidance

От Dave Cramer
Тема Re: Password leakage avoidance
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 27 Dec 2023 at 16:10, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> writes:
> On 12/27/23 15:39, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> On 23.12.23 16:13, Joe Conway wrote:
>>> The attached patch set moves the guts of \password from psql into the
>>> libpq client side -- PQchangePassword() (patch 0001).

>> I don't follow how you get from the problem statement to this solution.
>> This proposal doesn't avoid password leakage, does it?
>> It just provides a different way to phrase the existing solution.

> Yes, a fully built one that is convenient to use, and does not ask
> everyone to roll their own.

It's convenient for users of libpq, I guess, but it doesn't help
anyone not writing C code directly atop libpq.  If this is the
way forward then we need to also press JDBC and other client
libraries to implement comparable functionality.  That's within
the realm of sanity surely, and having a well-thought-through
reference implementation in libpq would help those authors.
So I don't think this is a strike against the patch; but the answer
to Peter's question has to be that this is just part of the solution.

Already have one in the works for JDBC, actually predates this. https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgjdbc/pull/3067

Dave