Re: Make COPY format extendable: Extract COPY TO format implementations

От Masahiko Sawada
Тема Re: Make COPY format extendable: Extract COPY TO format implementations
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20231214.184414.2179134502876898942.kou%40clear-code.com#af71f364d0a9f5c144e45b447e5c16c9

> Hmm.  I prefer the unique name approach for the COPY portions without
> enforcing any naming policy on the function names returning the
> handlers, actually, though I can see your point.

Yeah, another idea is to provide support functions to return a
CopyFormatRoutine wrapping either CopyToFormatRoutine or
CopyFromFormatRoutine. For example:

extern CopyFormatRoutine *MakeCopyToFormatRoutine(const
CopyToFormatRoutine *routine);

extensions can do like:

static const CopyToFormatRoutine testfmt_handler = {
    .type = T_CopyToFormatRoutine,
    .start_fn = testfmt_copyto_start,
    .onerow_fn = testfmt_copyto_onerow,
    .end_fn = testfmt_copyto_end
};

Datum
copy_testfmt_handler(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS)
{
    CopyFormatRoutine *routine = MakeCopyToFormatRoutine(&testfmt_handler);
    :

> > 2. Need an opaque space like IndexScanDesc::opaque does
> >
> >    * A custom COPY TO handler needs to keep its data
>
> Sounds useful to me to have a private area passed down to the
> callbacks.

+1

> > Questions:
> >
> > 1. What value should be used for "format" in
> >    PgMsg_CopyOutResponse message?
> >
> >    It's 1 for binary format and 0 for text/csv format.
> >
> >    Should we make it customizable by custom COPY TO handler?
> >    If so, what value should be used for this?
>
> Interesting point.  It looks very tempting to give more flexibility to
> people who'd like to use their own code as we have one byte in the
> protocol but just use 0/1.  Hence it feels natural to have a callback
> for that.

+1

> It also means that we may want to think harder about copy_is_binary in
> libpq in the future step.  Now, having a backend implementation does
> not need any libpq bits, either, because a client stack may just want
> to speak the Postgres protocol directly.  Perhaps a custom COPY
> implementation would be OK with how things are in libpq, as well,
> tweaking its way through with just text or binary.
>
> > 2. Do we need more tries for design discussion for the first
> >    implementation? If we need, what should we try?
>
> A makeNode() is used with an allocation in the current memory context
> in the function returning the handler.  I would have assume that this
> stuff returns a handler as a const struct like table AMs.

+1

The example I mentioned above does that.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada

Сообщение: Re: Make COPY format extendable: Extract COPY TO format implementations
Сообщение: Re: Make COPY format extendable: Extract COPY TO format implementations