Re: Have pg_basebackup write "dbname" in "primary_conninfo"?

От Masahiko Sawada
Тема Re: Have pg_basebackup write "dbname" in "primary_conninfo"?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Mar 14, 2024 at 11:46 PM vignesh C <vignesh21@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Mar 2024 at 15:49, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > What do you mean by not being able to give a meaningful error message?
> > >
> > > If the slotsync worker uses the user name as the dbname, and such a
> > > database doesn't exist, the error message the user will get is
> > > "database "test_user" does not exist". ISTM the same is true when the
> > > user specifies the wrong database in the primary_conninfo.
> > >

> > Right, the exact error message as mentioned by Shveta will be:
> > ERROR:  could not connect to the primary server: connection to server
> > at "127.0.0.1", port 5433 failed: FATAL: database "bckp_user" does not
> > exist
> >
> > Now, without this idea, the ERROR message will be:
> >  ERROR:  slot synchronization requires dbname to be specified in
> > primary_conninfo
> >
> > I am not sure how much this matters but the second message sounds more useful.

> > > Did you mean the pg_basebackup is using a logical replication
> > > connection in this case? As far as I tested, even if we specify dbname
> > > to the -d option of pg_basebackup, it uses a physical replication
> > > connection. For example, it can take a backup even if I specify a
> > > non-existing database name.
> > >

> > You are right. I misunderstood some part of the code in GetConnection.
> > However, I think my point is still valid that if the user has provided
> > dbname in the connection string it means that she wants that database
> > entry to be looked upon not "replication" entry.

> > > True. While I basically agree that pg_basebackup writes dbname in
> > > primary_conninfo, I'm concerned that writing "dbname=replication"
> > > could be problematic. Quoting the case 3) Vignesh summarized before:
> > >
> > > 3) ./pg_basebackup -d "user=vignesh"  -D data -R
> > > -> primary_conninfo = "dbname=replication"  (In this case
> > > primary_conninfo will have dbname as replication which is the default
> > > value from GetConnection as connection string is specified)
> > >
> > > The primary_conninfo generated by pg_basebackup -R is now used by
> > > either a walreceiver (for physical replication connection) or a
> > > slotsync worker (for normal connection). The "dbname=replication" is
> > > okay  for walreceiver. On the other hand, as for the slotsync worker,
> > > it can pass the CheckAndGetDbnameFromConninfo() check but it's very
> > > likely that it cannot connect to the primary since most users won't
> > > create a database with "replication" name. The user will end up
> > > getting an error message like 'database "replication" does not exist'
> > > but I'm not sure it would be informative for users. Rather, the error
> > > message "slot synchronization requires dbname to be specified in
> > > primary_conninfo" might be more informative for users. So I personally
> > > like to omit the dbname if "dbname=replication", at this point.
> > >

> > How about if we write dbname in primary_conninfo to
> > postgresql.auto.conf file only when the user has explicitly specified
> > dbname in the connection string? To achieve this we need to somehow
> [...]

Thank you for updating the patch!

This behavior makes sense to me. But do we want to handle the case of
using environment variables too? IIUC,

pg_basebackup -D tmp -d "user=masahiko dbname=test_db"

is equivalent to:

PGDATABASE="user=masahiko dbname=test_db" pg_basebackup -D tmp

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada