Re: Time delayed LR (WAS Re: logical replication restrictions)

От Masahiko Sawada
Тема Re: Time delayed LR (WAS Re: logical replication restrictions)
Дата
RE: Time delayed LR (WAS Re: logical replication restrictions)  ("Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda.hayato@fujitsu.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Mar 8, 2023 at 3:30 AM Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 06, 2023 at 07:27:59PM +0300, Önder Kalacı wrote:
> > On the other hand, we already have a similar problem with
> > recovery_min_apply_delay combined with hot_standby_feedback [1].
> > So, that probably is an acceptable trade-off for the pgsql-hackers.
> > If you use this feature, you should be even more careful.
>
> Yes, but it's possible to turn off hot_standby_feedback so that you don't
> incur bloat on the primary.  And you don't need to store hours or days of
> WAL on the primary.

Right. This side effect belongs to the combination of
recovery_min_apply_delay and hot_standby_feedback/replication slot.
recovery_min_apply_delay itself can be used even without this side
effect if we accept other trade-offs. When it comes to this
time-delayed logical replication feature, there is no choice to avoid
the side effect for users who want to use this feature.

> I'm very late to this thread, but IIUC you cannot
> avoid blocking VACUUM with the proposed feature.

Right.

>  IMO the current set of
> trade-offs (e.g., unavoidable bloat and WAL buildup) would make this
> feature virtually unusable for a lot of workloads, so it's probably worth
> exploring an alternative approach.

It might require more engineering effort for alternative approaches
such as one I proposed but the feature could become better from the
user perspective. I also think it would be worth exploring it if we've
not yet.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada