Re: Skipping logical replication transactions on subscriber side

От Masahiko Sawada
Тема Re: Skipping logical replication transactions on subscriber side
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, May 29, 2021 at 3:54 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, May 29, 2021 at 8:27 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > When will you record this info? I am not sure if we can try to update
> > > this when an error has occurred. We can think of using try..catch in
> > > apply worker and then record it in catch on error but would that be
> > > advisable? One random thought that occurred to me is to that apply
> > > worker notifies such information to the launcher (or maybe another
> > > process) which will log this information.
> >
> > Yeah, I was concerned about that too and had the same idea. The
> > information still could not be written if the server crashes before
> > the launcher writes it. But I think it's an acceptable.
> >

> True, because even if the launcher restarts, the apply worker will
> error out again and resend the information. I guess we can have an
> error queue where apply workers can add their information and the
> launcher will then process those.  If we do that, then we need to
> probably define what we want to do if the queue gets full, either
> apply worker nudge launcher and wait or it can just throw an error and
> continue. If you have any better ideas to share this information then
> we can consider those as well.

+1 for using error queue. Maybe we need to avoid queuing the same
error more than once to avoid the catalog from being updated
frequently?

> > > So won't this require us to check the required info in the catalog
> > > before applying each transaction? If so, that might be overhead, maybe
> > > we can build some cache of the highest commitLSN that can be consulted
> > > rather than the catalog table.
> >
> > I think workers can cache that information when starts and invalidates
> > and reload the cache when the catalog gets updated.  Specifying to
> > skip XID will update the catalog, invalidating the cache.
> >
> > > I think we need to think about when to
> > > remove rows for which conflict has been resolved as we can't let that
> > > information grow infinitely.
> >
> > I guess we can update catalog tuples in place when another conflict
> > happens next time. The catalog tuple should be fixed size. The
> > already-resolved conflict will have the commit LSN older than its
> > replication origin's LSN.
> >

> Okay, but I have a slight concern that we will keep xid in the system
> which might have been no longer valid. So, we will keep this info
> about subscribers around till one performs drop subscription,
> hopefully, that doesn't lead to too many rows. This will be okay as
> per the current design but say tomorrow we decide to parallelize the
> apply for a subscription then there could be multiple errors
> corresponding to a subscription and in that case, such a design might
> appear quite limiting. One possibility could be that when the launcher
> is periodically checking for new error messages, it can clean up the
> conflicts catalog as well, or maybe autovacuum does this periodically
> as it does for stats (via pgstat_vacuum_stat).

Yeah, it's better to have a way to cleanup no longer valid entries in
the catalog in the case where the worker failed to remove it. I prefer
the former idea so far, so I'll implement it in a PoC patch.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada
EDB:  https://www.enterprisedb.com/