Re: ZFS filesystem - supported ?

От Benedict Holland
Тема Re: ZFS filesystem - supported ?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Honestly, I think if you are at the point I performance where you care about a file system then you are in the upper 5% or higher. I am trying to get my users to not do 100k individual inserts in django rather than 1 insert using sql. As for backups, I don't care how long they take. I ha e separate computers that run backup and 15m interval Wal archives. Is it the best? No. But this is a mailing list to get help with postgres and specifically not a way to get production level support from a free service. We try and get the message out that postgres is amazing. If your OS defaults to ext4 then I assume linux experts did the tests to show that ext4 is fine. If you have specific use cases for reported benchmarking then that would be an interesting read but apart from that, this feels like such a nuanced and detailed question that the op should pay for the postgres support and test their systems and then report the results.

But that might just be me. Maybe the debate between zfs, xfs, ext4 or others is a good discussion to have. I would love to hear about what bench marks provide for a variety of use cases.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-5.14-File-Systems
> Ext4 is much better than XFS with SQLite tests and almost equal with
> MariaDB test. PostgreSQL is a relational database (let's forget the
> object part for now) and the IO patterns will be similar to SQLite and
> MariaDB.

there is a link from the Phoronix page to the full OpenBenchmarking.org result file
( XFS, F2FS, EXT4, BTRFS )

Regards,
 Imre

Wow! That is really interesting. Here is the gist of it:

XFS is the clear winner. It also answers the question about BTRFS. Thanks Imre!

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant