Re: CI speed improvements for FreeBSD

От Maxim Orlov
Тема Re: CI speed improvements for FreeBSD
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi!

I looked at the changes and I liked them.  Here are my thoughts:

0001:
1. I think, this is a good idea to use RAM.  Since, it's still a UFS, and we lose nothing in terms of testing, but win in speed significantly.
2. Change from "swapoff -a || true" to "swapoff -a" is legit in my view, since it's better to explicitly fail than silent any possible problem.
3. Man says that lowercase suffixes should be used for the mdconfig. But in fact, you can use either lowercase or an appercase. Yep, it's in
   the mdconfig.c: "else if (*p == 'g' || *p == 'G')".

0002:
1. The resource usage should be a bit higher, this is for sure.  But, if I'm not missing something, not drastically. Anyway, I do not know
   how to measure this increase to get concrete values.
2. And think of a potential benefits of increasing the number of test jobs: more concurrent processes, more interactions, better test coverage.

Here are my runs:
FreeBSD @master
https://cirrus-ci.com/task/4934701194936320
Run test_world 05:56

FreeBSD @master + 0001
https://cirrus-ci.com/task/5921385306914816
Run test_world 05:06

FreeBSD @master + 0001, + 0002
https://cirrus-ci.com/task/5635288945393664
Run test_world 02:20

For comparison
Debian @master
https://cirrus-ci.com/task/5143705577848832
Run test_world 02:38

In the overall, I consider this changes useful.  CI run faster, with better test coverage in exchange for presumably slight increase
in resource usage, but I don't think this increase should be significant.

--
Best regards,
Maxim Orlov.