Re: Allow parallel plan for referential integrity checks?

От Juan José Santamaría Flecha
Тема Re: Allow parallel plan for referential integrity checks?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Aug 17, 2023 at 3:51 PM Frédéric Yhuel <frederic.yhuel@dalibo.com> wrote:
On 8/17/23 14:00, Frédéric Yhuel wrote:
> On 8/17/23 09:32, Frédéric Yhuel wrote:
>> On 8/10/23 17:06, Juan José Santamaría Flecha wrote:
>>> Recently I restored a database from a directory format backup and
>>> having this feature would have been quite useful
>>
>> Thanks for resuming work on this patch. I forgot to mention this in my
>> original email, but the motivation was also to speed up the restore
>> process. Parallelizing the FK checks could make a huge difference in
>> certain cases. We should probably provide such a test case (with perf
>> numbers), and maybe this is it what Robert asked for.
>
> I have attached two scripts which demonstrate the following problems:

Thanks for the scripts, but I think Robert's concerns come from the safety, and not the performance, of the parallel operation.

Proving its vulnerability could be easy with a counter example, but assuring its safety is trickier. What test would suffice to do that?

Regards,

Juan José Santamaría Flecha