Re: Proposal for changes in official Docker image

От Максим Кольцов
Тема Re: Proposal for changes in official Docker image
Дата
Список pgadmin-hackers
> Hi
>
> On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 10:09 AM, Максим Кольцов <kolmax94@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Hi

>> > There are some docs on the git repo and mailing list at
>> > https://www.pgadmin.org/development/resources/. To submit a patch, send
>> > an
>> > email to the hackers list describing the patch and attaching the "git
>> > diff"
>> > formatted patch file.

>> > Well that additional complexity is a very good reason why using two
>> > containers for this is overkill. Having two containers to run pgAdmin
>> > makes
>> > things unnecessarily complex in my opinion, especially given that it can
>> > (and is in the current container) achieved with the simple addition of a
>> > config snippet for Apache and mod_ssl. The current trend for micro
>> > services
>> > can easily be taken too far - we should keep the KISS principle in mind.
>>
>> I did not mean to run two containers. I mean that pgadmin image, as I
>> picture it, may serve two purposes:
>>
>> - localhost deployment on developer's machine to ease interaction with
>> postgres DB, local or remote.
>>   In this mode container serves it's own static files and is
>> accessible via plain HTTP
>> - Deployment in enterprise production environment, for many users,
>> possibly accessible from the Internet.
>>   In this mode container should only serve the API, possibly running
>> in several replicas. static files and SSL
>>   termination should be done by _existing_ nginx or something else
>> present in that organisation. For that I'd wish
>>   to have a way to extract static files from the container for
>> deployment, but not changing anything in the image.
>

> As I see it, that does essentially mean two containers (or 1 container and a
> VM or whatever). Either way, it adds a lot of complexity for the user.
>

>> > Another reason for including SSL support, is that users have asked for
>> > it.
>>
>> In my humble opinion, if users want SSL support in application
>> container, they are doing something wrong and are
>> asking for troubles. But I respect this choice and I'm ready to allow
>> for it. I'll integrate gunicorn server in the image, which
>> supports SSL.
>

> Doing it that way gives them both options (well, we'd still need to figure
> out the static file extraction). Those that want a quick and easy SSL
> solution can do it with one container, those running on localhost can use
> plain HTTP, and those who want an external reverse proxy to add SSL would
> also have that option. I think this would be the most flexible and
> convenient for users.

I've switched to Gunicorn, adding SSL support. It has the same
interface as the original container: PGADMIN_ENABLE_TLS,
/certs/server.key and /certs/server.cert.
I also incorporated building of sphinx manual in Dockerfile, so now
the image should be complete.

I noticed that I can't use gunicorn forking worker with pgadmin4, this
is probably caused by session implementation, but I'm not sure. You
can investigate this by using e.g. `-w 4` in entrypoint.sh, otherwise
it's working fine with single-process threaded worker.

I will make my work into a patch and send it to the mail list soon.
Meanwhile, it'd be great if you tested the updated image at