Re: Statistics Import and Export

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Statistics Import and Export
Дата
Re: Statistics Import and Export  (Corey Huinker <corey.huinker@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Mar 30, 2024 at 1:26 AM Corey Huinker <corey.huinker@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Mar 29, 2024 at 7:34 PM Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com> wrote:
On Fri, 2024-03-29 at 18:02 -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> I’d certainly think “with stats” would be the preferred default of
> our users.

I'm concerned there could still be paths that lead to an error. For
pg_restore, or when loading a SQL file, a single error isn't fatal
(unless -e is specified), but it still could be somewhat scary to see
errors during a reload.

To that end, I'm going to be modifying the "Optimizer statistics are not transferred by pg_upgrade..." message when stats _were_ transferred, width additional instructions that the user should treat any stats-ish error messages encountered as a reason to manually analyze that table. We should probably say something about extended stats as well.

I'm getting late into this discussion and I apologize if I've missed this being discussed before. But.

Please don't.

That will make it *really* hard for any form of automation or drivers of this. The information needs to go somewhere where such tools can easily consume it, and an informational message during runtime (which is also likely to be translated in many environments) is the exact opposite of that.

Surely we can come up with something better. Otherwise, I think all those tools are just going ot have to end up assuming that it always failed and proceed based on that, and that would be a shame.