Re: Updated backup APIs for non-exclusive backups

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Updated backup APIs for non-exclusive backups
Дата
Re: Updated backup APIs for non-exclusive backups  (Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 6:40 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 4:36 PM, David Steele <david@pgmasters.net> wrote:
On 3/22/16 12:31 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 5:27 PM, David Steele <david@pgmasters.net
<mailto:david@pgmasters.net>> wrote:

    > Adding the stop time column should be a simple addition and I don't see
    > a problem with that. I think I misunderstood your original request on
    > that. Because you are just talking about returning a timestamptz with
    > the "right now" value for when you called pg_stop_backup()? Or to be
    > specific, just before pg_Stop_backup *finished*. Or do you mean when
    > pg_stop_backup() started?

    What would be ideal is the minimum time that could be used for PITR.  In
    an exclusive backup that's the time the end-of-backup record is written
    to WAL.  In a non-exlusive backup I'm not quite sure how that works.

I guess I was hoping that you would know.  I fine with just getting the current timestamp as is currently done in do_pg_stop_backup().  It's not perfect but it will be pretty close.

I thought some more about putting STOP_WAL_LOCATION into the backup label and I think this is an important step.  Without that the recovery process needs to use pg_control to determine when the database has reach consistency and that will only work if pg_control was copied last.

In summary, I think the patch should be updated to include stop_time as a column and add STOP_WAL_LOCATION and STOP_TIME to backup_label.  The recovery process should read STOP_WAL_LOCATION from backup_label and use that to decide when the database has become consistent.

Is that the only reason we need pg_control to be copied last? I thought there were other reasons for that.

I was chatting with Stephen about this earlier, and one thing we considered was that maybe we should return pg_control as a bytea field from pg_stop_backup() thereby strongly hinting to tools that they should write it out from there rather than copy it from the data directory (we can't stop them from copying it from the data directory like we do for backup_label of course, but if we return the contents and document that's how it should be done, it's pretty clear).

But if we can actually remove the whole requirement on the order of the copy of pg_control by doing that it certainly seems worthwhile.

So - I can definitely see the argument for returning the stop wal *location*. But I'm still not sure what the definition of the time would be? We can't return it before we know what it means...

I had a chat with Heikki, and here's another suggestion:

1. We don't touch the current exclusive backups at all, as previously discussed, other than deprecating their use. For backwards compat.

2. For new backups, we return the contents of pg_control as a bytea from pg_stop_backup(). We tell backup programs they are supposed to write this out as pg_control.backup, *not* as pg_control.

3a. On recovery, if it's an exlcusive backup, we do as we did before.

3b. on recovery, in non-exclusive backups (determined from backup_label), we check that pg_control.backup exists *and* that pg_control does *not* exist. That guards us reasonably against backup programs that do the wrong thing, and we know we get the correct version of pg_control.

4. (we can still add the stop location to the backup_label file in case backup programs find it useful, but we don't use it in recovery)

Thoughts about this approach?