Re: Documentation does not mention that basebackup could not be used on newer major version

От Eugen Konkov
Тема Re: Documentation does not mention that basebackup could not be used on newer major version
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
Did not know that page even exists.

No need to enumerate. It would be nice if you mention that `This tool is not suitable for restoring data in different major version`.

On Mon, Sep 18, 2023 at 4:08 PM Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> wrote:
On Mon, 2023-09-18 at 15:29 +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/app-pgbasebackup.html
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/logical-replication.html
> Logical replication has excellent paragraph about usecases.
>
> These pages does not have them.
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/app-pgdump.html
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/app-pgbasebackup.html
>
> My main issue is that `pg_basebackup` page does not mention that this backup
> is compatible only with current version of database. I can not do basebackup
> on v11 and restore that on v15, for example.

I think that that is amply documented by the fact that pg_basebackup is
*not* mentioned in https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/upgrading.html .

You can't expect us to enumerate every tool that is not suitable for
upgrading.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe