Re: group by true now errors with non-integer constant in GROUP BY

От David Rowley
Тема Re: group by true now errors with non-integer constant in GROUP BY
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Mon, 18 Sept 2023 at 12:00, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com> writes:
> > 2. In master only, remove the special case added in #1 and allow any
> > non-integer constants to be treated as expressions.
>
> > I think #2 is a good move for the following reasons:
>
> FTR, I still think this is a bad idea.  It will add more confusion
> than it removes, and I don't buy that it will confer any advantages,
> because nobody asked for it previously.

I'm not dead set on it. I just don't think we can do exactly nothing
about this. At the very least we need to mention in REL_15_STABLE's
release-15.sgml in the incompatibilities section.

Another reason for #2 which I forgot to add was that it gets rid of
the need to have the "non-integer constant in ..." error message and
saves about 8 lines of code and a string constant table entry.

I'll happily wait to see if anyone else has any thoughts on this.  The
votes seem roughly 2 vs 2 at the moment.

David