Re: Making aggregate deserialization (and WAL receive) functions slightly faster

От David Rowley
Тема Re: Making aggregate deserialization (and WAL receive) functions slightly faster
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2 Nov 2023 at 22:42, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> The other two look good to me.

Thanks for looking.

I spent some time trying to see if the performance changes much with
either of these cases. For the XLogWalRcvProcessMsg() I was unable to
measure any difference even when replaying inserts into a table with a
single int4 column and no indexes.  I think that change is worthwhile
regardless as it allows us to get rid of a global variable. I was
tempted to shorten the name of that variable a bit since it's now
local, but didn't as it causes a bit more churn.

For the apply_spooled_messages() change, I tried logical decoding but
quickly saw apply_spooled_messages() isn't the normal case.  I didn't
quite find a test case that caused the changes to be serialized to a
file, but I do see that the number of bytes can be large so thought
that it's worthwhile saving the memcpy for that case.

I pushed those two changes.

David