Re: Analyze on table creation?

От James Coleman
Тема Re: Analyze on table creation?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
cc'ing Tom because I'm curious if he's willing to provide some greater
context on the commit in question.

On Mon, Jun 26, 2023 at 2:16 PM Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:

> po 26. 6. 2023 v 19:48 odesílatel James Coleman <jtc331@gmail.com> napsal:

>> > if you break this back compatibility, then the immediate ANALYZE is not necessary
>>
>> I don't follow what backwards compatibility you're referencing. Could
>> you expand on that?
>

> Originally, until the table had minimally one row, the PostgreSQL calculated with 10 pages. It was fixed (changed) in
PostgreSQL14.

> https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=3d351d916b20534f973eda760cde17d96545d4c4

From that commit message:
> Historically, we've considered the state with relpages and reltuples
> both zero as indicating that we do not know the table's tuple density.
> This is problematic because it's impossible to distinguish "never yet
> vacuumed" from "vacuumed and seen to be empty".  In particular, a user
> cannot use VACUUM or ANALYZE to override the planner's normal heuristic
> that an empty table should not be believed to be empty because it is
> probably about to get populated.  That heuristic is a good safety
> measure, so I don't care to abandon it, but there should be a way to
> override it if the table is indeed intended to stay empty.

So that implicitly provides our reasoning for not analyzing up-front
on table creation.

I haven't thought about this too deeply yet, but it seems plausible to
me that the dangers of overestimating row count here (at minimum in
queries like I described with lots of joins) are higher than the
dangers of underestimating, which we would do if we believed the table
was empty. One critical question would be how fast we can assume the
table will be auto-analyzed (i.e., how fast would the underestimate be
corrected.

Regards,
James Coleman