Re: Add system identifier to backup manifest

От Amul Sul
Тема Re: Add system identifier to backup manifest
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jan 17, 2024 at 5:15 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
On 2024-Jan-17, Amul Sul wrote:

> This helps to identify the correct database server and/or backup for the
> subsequent backup operations.  pg_verifybackup validates the manifest system
> identifier against the backup control file and fails if they don’t match.
> Similarly, pg_basebackup increment backup will fail if the manifest system
> identifier does not match with the server system identifier.  The
> pg_combinebackup is already a bit smarter -- checks the system identifier
> from
> the pg_control of all the backups, with this patch the manifest system
> identifier also validated.

Hmm, okay, but what if I take a full backup from a primary server and
later I want an incremental from a standby, or the other way around?
Will this prevent me from using such a combination?

Yes, that worked for me where the system identifier was the same on
master as well standby.

Regards,
Amul