Re: Function to get invalidation cause of a replication slot.

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: Function to get invalidation cause of a replication slot.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Dec 20, 2023 at 4:10 PM Drouvot, Bertrand
<bertranddrouvot.pg@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/20/23 9:50 AM, Amit Kapila wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 20, 2023 at 12:46 PM Drouvot, Bertrand
> > <bertranddrouvot.pg@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>

> >> 4 ===
> >>
> >> + * Returns ReplicationSlotInvalidationCause enum value for valid slot_name;
> >>
> >> I think it would be more user friendly to return a description instead of an enum value.
> >>
> > But it would be tricky to use at a place where we want to know the
> > enum value as in the case of the sync slots patch where we want to
> > copy the cause.
>
> Yeah right, what about displaying both then? (one field for the enum and one for
> the description). I feel it's not friendly to ask users to refer to the documentation
> (or the commit message) to get the meaning of the output.
>
> Another option could be to create a new view, say pg_slot_invalidation_causes, that would list
> them all (cause_id, cause_description) and then keep pg_get_slot_invalidation_cause() returning
> the cause_id only.

I am not sure if it is really valuable enough to have a separate view
but if others also feel that would be a good idea then we can do it. I
feel for the current purpose having a function as proposed in the
patch is good enough, we can always extend it or add a new view
dependening on if some users really care about it.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.