От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: Synchronizing slots from primary to standby
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Feb 6, 2024 at 3:57 PM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 6, 2024 at 3:41 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I agree that (a) looks better.  On a separate note, while looking at
> > > this API pg_sync_replication_slots(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS) shouldn't there
> > > be an optional parameter to give one slot or multiple slots or all
> > > slots as default, that will give better control to the user no?
> > >

> > As of now, we want to give functionality similar to slotsync worker
> > with a difference that users can use this new function for planned
> > switchovers. So, syncing all failover slots by default. I think if
> > there is a use case to selectively sync some of the failover slots
> > then we can probably extend this function and slotsync worker as well.
> > Normally, if the primary goes down due to whatever reason users would
> > want to restart the replication for all the defined publications via
> > existing failover slots. Why would anyone want to do it partially?
>
> If we consider the usability of such a function (I mean as it is
> implemented now, without any argument) one use case could be that if
> the slot sync worker is not keeping up or at some point in time the
> user doesn't want to wait for the worker to do this instead user can
> do it by himself.

Possibly, but I was imagining that it would be used for planned
switchover cases and also for testing the core sync slot functionality
in our TAP tests.

> So now if we have such a functionality then it would be even better to
> extend it to selectively sync the slot.  For example, if there is some
> issue in syncing all slots, maybe some bug or taking a long time to
> sync because there are a lot of slots but if the user needs to quickly
> failover and he/she is interested in only a couple of slots then such
> a option could be helpful. no?

I see your point but not sure how useful it is in the field. I am fine
if others also think such a parameter will be useful and anyway I
think we can even extend it after v1 is done.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.